Saturday 22 March 2014

❤ Reimagined World - Footwear Project ❤

Hello Everyone, I am back writing my blog again as promised~
University has been really busy so far as we were given lots and lots of projects. But knowing that I always leaves everything till the last minute I was rushing and completely breaking down by the end the projects.
 
We were given a designer/brand and we had to work with the theme" Reimagined World" to create a sandal and a display from the designer's point of view and style. I was luckily enough to be given Jonathan Saunders as he was colourful and I loved all his patterns and work.
 
I was researching about him and came across this dress:
(Picture below taken from Google)
 
 
When I first saw this dress, the first thing that came into mind was that the colours looks like it is from a chameleon and I love it and decided that I will use chameleon as my inspiration. I started by looked at their skin textures and the colours. (Picture below taken from Google)
 
 
However, we had no idea what kind of colours and leather we will be working with, I was over the moon when they have green and turquoise leather available as I was hoping to use green and turquoise as my main colours.
 
We started by making a pattern out of the last using making tape and eventually came out with a pattern of the sandal.
 
 
 
After cutting my pattern out on the green leather, I started sewing my pattern pieces together. It was not as difficult as I thought it would be as we had to use a very small seam allowance.(5mm and 2mm). As soon as finished sewing the front, back and the straps at the side I attached the insole and the sole. Attaching the soles are my favourite part of making shoes as it is very fun hammering down the sole and getting glue everywhere~
 
 
To be honest, after making up my sandal. The shape was so basic and I was really disappointed how it turn out, but as soon as I got home I started working with the details on the surface. I stuck down little pieces of the leather using the right side and wrong side as they have different shade and it is perfect for he chameleon skin colour. 
 
 
I was so happy with my sandal as it looked so much better with the details and the leather and colours worked really well together. After making my display from dried dead leaves, branches and a red satin flower. Everything was coming together and luckily they don't look as bad as I thought it would.
 
 
 This project has been really fun but really stressful at the same time, there were times when I just wanted to rip my shoe apart and giving up on footwear... But looking back at my final outcome and the process of making it with my blood and tears (literally), I am super proud of this sandal.

 
 
 


 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment